6.23.2006

World Cup Fever (and depression)


So that’s me in the picture if you couldn’t tell. I grew up playing football (soccer) since I was 5 and played my whole life so I really grew to love the sport. This has been one of the benefits of moving to England over the past 2 years. I’ve really been able to dive into the football culture here and have enjoyed it because it’s a bit harder to tap into in America. It has taken me a bit of time to understand some of the subtleties and intricacies, but it’s been nice in light of the World Cup. Nothing beats going to a pub to watch an England match. It’s amazing to watch an entire city shut down to watch the World Cup. Anyway, here are a couple things that I’ve noticed while here:

• First, I’m constantly asked by Brits about football in America (not American football). Is it beginning to take off? Yes and No. Have there been great strides made in developing the sport? Yes. However, it will always be one sport among many. I’m also amazed at the development programs (and money) that goes into developing the next generation of footballers here in the UK and across Europe. Each Club (Man U, Liverpool etc….) has a great program for youth in their area that starts around age 5 and so they are getting quality training by guys who know the sport. America is well behind in this area and it will take decades (in my opinion) to catch up.
• Second, I was struck by a comment made by an Afro-Caribbean guy who was watching the World Cup with me in a store that sells tvs a couple days ago. When he heard the score of the Spain game (4-0) he just chuckled and said, “4-0! What is this Basketball?” (he didn’t know I was American) I know that football has been known for traditionally low scoring games, but I’ve never been exposed to anyone opposed to high scoring games or looked down upon them. I guess I’ve come to realize that when watching football it’s not entirely about the scoring as much as its been about the build up and tension to the goal. Spectators of the sport get just as much satisfaction out of watching a 1-1 game (America v Italy for example) than a game that is completely one sided, but high scoring (Argentina v. S&M).

1 Comments:

Blogger Philip Letizia said...

I've begun to enjoy the build up to a goal as well. Also, when you watch these guys, you see the creativity, the art. More so than any other sport I believe, you see the expression of individual players. its a joy to watch...peace
Check out my blog on soccer - philletizia.blogspot.com
Phil

10:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home